- SAME DAY: Parent(s) notified of the incident by phone or in person by the reporting teacher. Incident (as known so far) is explained completely, but with great sensitivity, attention to answering questions, and managing the relationship.
- Explain the facts
- Explain immediate consequences given by teacher or administration
- Explain next steps, such as further investigation or review for additional/modified consequences
- Offer to answer clarifying questions or arrange a conference after investigation is concluded
- Notable exception: When students and teachers are off campus, such as on a field trip, at camp, or abroad, any of these steps may be slowed, contact should be made with reasonable expediency.
- WITHIN 24 HOURS OF INCIDENT IDENTIFICATION: Parent(s) notified of the facts of the incident by a printed, redacted incident summary (no student identities shown). The reporting teacher will give it in person, by email, or by post.
- AS NEEDED: Parent(s) provided follow-up when there is cause (e.g., concern by school or parents; new information revealed by investigation, or changes to consequences)
- When an incident is reviewed by administration, there may be additional consequences or changes to consequences
- Within 5 school days of material updates to student information in the incident tracker, the reporting teacher will provide a new copy to those parents, and the communication recorded in the incident tracker
- ONGOING monitoring of behavior related to the incident
The Head of School is the final authority on all consequence decisions.
Last Updated: 2/4/16