1st/2nd Grade Assistant Teacher
The Ancona School
The Ancona School is a unique independent school for preschool through 8th grade students located in Chicago’s historic Hyde Park-Kenwood community. Since its founding in 1962, Ancona has been a leader in providing a thoughtful, experiential and multicultural education to a diverse population of learners. The school combines the best of Montessori and progressive educational traditions with innovative teaching and curriculum in open, multi-age classrooms. Ancona graduates go on to Chicago’s most selective public, independent and parochial high schools. Outstanding teachers, active parent involvement, and a true concern for social justice distinguish our community of learners.
The Ancona School seeks an Assistant Teacher for 1st/2nd grade classroom beginning in the fall of 2018. Assistant teachers at Ancona provide support for the overall smooth functioning of the classroom. Each head teacher determines the particular responsibilities of the assistant teacher in his/her classroom; those responsibilities may grow over time with the increasing skill of the assistant teacher and to the extent that s/he is interested in an increasingly meaningful role.
General Qualifications for Assistant Teachers
- B.A./B.S. degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university with some preparation in education or child development
- Experience with or interest in working with children
- Interest in Montessori and/or progressive education
- Desire to grow as an educator
Preferred Qualifications for Assistant Teachers
- Montessori experience
- Pre-service teacher education
Assistant Teacher Description of Responsibilities
Assistant teachers provide support for the overall smooth functioning of the classroom. Each head teacher determines the particular responsibilities of the assistant teacher in his/her classroom; those responsibilities may grow over time with the increasing skill of the assistant teacher and to the extent that s/he is interested in an increasingly meaningful role. Responsibilities may include any of the following:
- supervising children at recess
- cleaning and maintaining shelves
- making, repairing or replacing instructional materials
- writing newsletters or creating bulletin boards
- accompanying students to co-curricular classes
During classroom work times, assistant teachers may be expected to:
- circulate in the classroom to assist children as needed
- coach individual children as they work
- lead small instructional groups
Assistant teachers take over the classroom in the absence of the head teacher. For any absence over three days in length, the assistant teacher will be paid an additional stipend on a per diem basis.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and signed job application form to gro.l1534698936oohcs1534698936anocn1534698936a@boj1534698936rehca1534698936et211534698936. All inquiries are treated confidentially.