JOB TITLE: Custodian
The Custodian is responsible for maintaining a sanitary, attractive, safe facility for students, faculty, staff, and the public; set-up and take-down of furniture and equipment for meetings, classroom activities, and events; performing some snow removal, landscaping, and traffic control responsibilities; and attention to minimizing property damage, loss and liability exposure to the school.
Reasonable Accommodation/Essential Duties of the Job
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Cleans assigned school facilities using various cleaning compounds (e.g. classrooms, offices, common areas, restrooms, multipurpose rooms, grounds) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe and attractive
- Set-ups and takes-down furnishings and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparation for meetings, classroom activities and events.
- Assists in the maintenance of landscape and exterior (e.g. shovels snow, spreads deicer on pavement, blows and rakes up leaves, cuts, waters and fertilizes grass, washes windows, power washes pavement and awning) for the purpose of maintaining a safe and attractive facility for children and the public to enter and exit.
- Directs traffic during both morning and afternoon drop-off and pick-up of
- Responsible for securing the facility and the exterior grounds as trained to ensure the safety of the students, faculty, and staff.
- Delivers various items to and from internal and remote facilities (e.g. supplies, mail, packages furniture) to ensure materials are in the proper place.
- Helps respond to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. spills, facility failure/damage, alarms etc.) to maintain a functioning and operational educational environment.
- Continuously scans facilities for the purpose of ensuring site is suitable for safe, sanitary and attractive educational operations can continue.
- Attends in-service training for the purpose of receiving information on new and/or improved procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles, and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized. This factor is important if the amount and kind of climbing required exceeds that required for ordinary locomotion.
- Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing, or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. This factor is important if the amount of balancing exceeds that needed for ordinary locomotion and maintenance of body equilibrium.
- Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.
- Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
- Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
- Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
- Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward.
- Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Applying pressure to an object with finger sand palm.
- Raising objects up to 40 lbs. from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position.
Must understand working within a school environment where discretion and appropriate behavior is required at all times. Classrooms have limited time frames in which they can be accessed. Must learn to understand the traffic patterns within the school in order to find appropriate times to do work.
May be exposed to cleaning compounds or pesticides during the normal course of performing the essential duties of the job.
May be exposed to extreme cold or heat as the duties are often performed outside.
- Customer/client focus.
- Collegial and able to get along with students, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to work as a team member or
- Communication Proficient English is required.
- Ability to use industry-standard cleaning supplies and equipment.
- Ability to perform basic math, read and follow instructions in English.
- Ability to follow a daily work assignment.
- Ability to accomplish tasks successfully under limited supervision.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to problem-solve.
- Ability to pass a thorough background check.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Flexible. May be required to work evening shift or day shift as required.
Required Education and Experience
Less Than High School Diploma
Preferred Education and Experience
High School Diploma.
Experience working in a school environment.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
None required for this position.
It is the policy of Ancona School not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training including apprenticeship, layoff and termination.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.