Job Title: Assistant Teacher
The Ancona School seeks a full-time Assistant Teacher at an accredited Montessori Preprimary program, beginning August 2021. Assistant teachers at Ancona play an integral role in supporting high-quality early childhood experiences rooted in the Montessori tradition. Our teachers provide the architecture for the academic and social/emotional development of young children. This is an excellent opportunity to work under the tutelage of a master teacher and observe the theories of progressive education—with an emphasis on social justice—in action throughout our vibrant learning community.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Job Function
- Responsible to the head teacher and will assist in establishing and maintaining a harmonious classroom
- Help to establish and maintain Montessori classroom culture, pay particular attention to the needs of students
- Carefully observe and keep records on each student’s individual progression through the classroom, always available to offer gentle guidance
- Participate in weekly staff meetings
- Participate in all school events and conferences
Responsibilities to the Head Teacher:
- Assist the head teacher with the children in their learning and understanding of the Montessori materials
- Be informed and carry out duties as assigned by the head teacher
- Be familiar with the Family Handbook.
- Inform the head teacher of any classroom difficulties, including discipline, health, equipment needs, repair, and maintenance
- Meet with the head teacher to discuss goals for the class and individual students
Responsibilities to the Children and Parents:
- Keep information confidential
- Be professional and positive in all dealings with children and parents
- Share all information from parents with head teacher
- Allow the children to be as independent as possible and try not to be an obstacle in their growth
Responsibilities to the Classroom:
- Clean-up of the classroom, ensuring that it is always tidy
- Update bulletin boards and student work both in and out of the classroom
- Notify the head teacher and office manager as soon as possible so that a substitute can be organized
Reports to Head of School and/or Division Head and to the Head Teacher
Work Area Assigned
Classroom or other children’s areas; must secure substitute or leave only at assigned breaks
Required Qualifications: Education and Experience
- Montessori trained and certified
- BS or higher
- Previous experience in teaching in a Montessori setting (preferred)
- Spanish Fluency (preferred)
- CPR/First Aid certification (preferred)
- Pass a background check
- Have the physical capacity to work with preschool/Kindergarten-aged children
- Keep up with professional development – 15 hours per school year
- Repetitive motion
- Sedentary work, light work, medium work
- Close visual acuity
- Inside and outside environmental conditions
- Respect for children
- Passion for education
- Openness to growth and change
Expected Hours of Work
Monday-Friday, 7:50 am-3:30 pm
Wednesdays, 3:35-4:45 pm (Reserved for Staff Meetings)
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
It is the policy of Ancona School not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation, or national origin. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training including apprenticeship, layoff, and termination.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a benefits package including medical and dental insurance; tuition remission; professional development opportunities; and an employer-matched retirement plan.
Interested candidates should submit complete this form, and submit it along with a cover letter and resume, in one PDF, to: email@example.com as soon as possible.