Date: February 22, 2018
JOB TITLE: Part Time Custodian/Maintenance
The Custodian is responsible for maintaining an attractive, sanitary, safe facility for students, faculty, staff and the public; providing equipment and furniture arrangements for meetings, classroom activities and events; and minimizing property damage, loss and liability exposure to the school.
Reasonable Accommodation/Essential Duties of the Job
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Arranges furnishings and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparation for meetings, classroom activities and events.
- Attends in-service training for the purpose of receiving information on new and/or improved procedures.
- Cleans assigned school facilities using various cleaning compounds (e.g. classrooms, offices, common areas, restrooms, multipurpose rooms, grounds) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe and attractive environment.
- Maintains landscape and exterior (e.g. cuts, waters and fertilizes grass, washes windows, power washes pavement and awning, shovels snow, blow and pickup leaves, spreads salt on pavement) for the purpose of maintaining a safe, attractive facility for children and the public to enter and exit.
- Delivers various items to and from internal and remote facilities (e.g. supplies, mail, packages furniture) to ensure materials are in the proper place.
- Helps respond to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. spills, facility failure/damage, alarms etc.) to maintain a functioning and operational educational environment.
- Continuously scan facilities for the purpose of ensuring site is suitable for safe, sanitary and attractive educational operations can continue.
- Greet families each school day during regular drop-off times in the morning. May also be called upon to direct traffic during both morning and afternoon rush hour.
- Climbing. Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized. This factor is important if the amount and kind of climbing required exceeds that required for ordinary locomotion.
- Balancing. Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. This factor is important if the amount of balancing exceeds that needed for ordinary locomotion and maintenance of body equilibrium.
- Stooping. Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.
- Kneeling. Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
- Crouching. Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
- Crawling. Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
- Reaching. Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Standing. Particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Walking. Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one worksite to another.
- Pushing. Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward.
- Pulling. Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Lifting. Raising objects up to 100 lbs. from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position.
May be exposed to extreme cold or heat as the duties are often performed outside. May be exposed to pesticides or cleaning compounds during the normal course of performing the essential duties of the job.
- Customer/Client Focus.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Ability to use industry standard cleaning supplies and equipment.
- Ability perform basic math, read and follow instructions.
- Ability to work as a team member or individually.
- Ability to accomplish task successfully under limited supervision.
- Collegial and able to get along with students, faculty and staff
- Ability to pass a thorough background check
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Flexible. May be required to work evening shift or day shift as required.
Required Education and Experience
Less Than High School Diploma
Preferred Education and Experience
High School Diploma
Experience working in a school environment.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
None required for this position.
It is the policy of Ancona School not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training including apprenticeship, layoff and termination.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please fill out and attach a job application form and send to