JOB TITLE: SUBSTITUTE TEACHER
The Ancona School seeks a part-time Substitute Teacher for a progressive education, Montessori-infused classroom. Substitute teachers at Ancona provide support for the overall smooth functioning of the classroom, including care of the children, maintenance of the environment, seamless delivery of lessons, and smooth interactions with families. This is an excellent opportunity to join a vibrant learning community.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- When there is a Head Teacher or Assistant Teacher in the classroom, support them in all classroom functions
- When no full-time teacher is present, deliver lessons left by the absent teacher
- When no full time teacher is present, prepare by reviewing lesson plans, student information, emergency plans, events and programming for the day.
- Maintain a calm, learning-focused classroom based on student inquiry
- Make time to prepare well for class by reviewing lesson plans, student information, emergency plans, events and programming for the day, and know your colleagues
- Accompany students on field trips, nap time, arrival and dismissal
- Aid students in promoting social and emotional learning
- Build relationships with other teachers
- Respect for children
- Passion for education
- Openness to growth and change
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree; minimum of 1 year working with children ages 3-5 in an educational setting
Preferred Education and Experience
- Fluency in Spanish
- Familiarity with children with special needs
- Familiarity with Montessori education
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
None required for this position.
It is the policy of Ancona School not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training including apprenticeship, layoff and termination.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Email a cover letter, resume, and signed job application form to