We have devised the following rules to help with driving directions during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up times. These rules provide safety for children and smooth and efficient access for parents, while preserving access for emergency vehicles and peace with Ancona’s neighbors.
Please be polite, cooperate with Ancona staff who direct traffic, and be respectful by following the rules. We teach children that being a member of a community means doing what works for the whole group. This applies to parking and traffic, too. Remember that your children are watching and learning from you.
- Do not park in the parking bay from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We keep the parking bay (directly in front of the school entrance and the north end of Dorchester from 48th Place to the bay) free for student drop-off and pick-up and for emergency vehicles. We keep yellow sawhorses in the bay to remind our community not to park there.
- Never double-park your car on Dorchester and leave it unattended. This inconveniences and infuriates other parents and neighbors alike.
- Do not block or back into the intersection of Dorchester Ave and 48th Street.
- Park in a legal spot if you are coming into the school, even for a brief time or just to walk your child to class.
- Do not park in the lots belonging to Lake Village East Apartments. They are Ancona’s neighbors, and we like to keep good relations with them. If you park there, you will be subject to towing.
- Never drive north on Dorchester Ave. Instead, always make a circle around the school: drive north through the alley; drive east on 48th Place; drive south on Dorchester Ave.
- Never make u-turns or 3-point turns in the intersection of Dorchester and 48th Street.
- During pick up times, stay in one line facing east on 48th Place and then south on Dorchester. Keep moving forward.
- Do not get out of your car. If your child is not ready to leave when you pull up, you will be asked to circle again. We expect the cooperation of all drivers.
- Never pull into the bay diagonally. Keep your car parallel to the curb and facing south at all times.
- Be polite to Ancona’s neighbors. Respect driveways and do not block people pulling out of parking spaces.
Students may not ride bicycles, scooters, skateboards, or rollerblades in the school, on the Dorchester sidewalk, or on the playground. Children riding bikes to school must wear ANSI, ASTM, CPSC, or Snell-certified helmets. Bicycles should be locked to the bike rack on Dorchester or walked around the school and locked to the bike rack in the playground.
Please fill out and return to the Main Office the Permission to Walk Form if your child(ren) will be walking to or from school unaccompanied by a parent or guardian.